Friday, 11 January 2008

Importing your vehicle into Gibraltar

This is not difficult.

Step 1

Take your vehicle to the Customs Office (near the freight/commercial entrance to Gib), and ask for an assessment of the value. This varies depending on the condition of the vehicle, and the duty to import it varies depending on the size of the engine.

More info on import duty regarding engine size, new/second-hand car on my later post here.

Pay your money. Cash or cheque from a Gib bank account only. A British bank account is no good. You get a receipt. Obviously.

Step 2

You now have your Gib registration number so you need to go and buy your plates immediately. There is a good place on Devil's Tower Road - Car Care Centre - that will do plates on the spot. You need to produce your Gib ID card and customs paperwork.

Affix said plates.

Step 3

Buy insurance. You can't buy the insurance without the Gib registration number, so you need to do it immediately afterwards. We used Solrac in Tuckey's Lane. They were very efficient and very fast. We got cover for Gibraltar, Spain and Portugal, including breakdown cover. We produced our last British NCD and our recent Spanish policy plus a note from the Spanish insurers to say we had made no claims.

Step 4

Armed with Gib number and insurance (which you need to produce), book your MoT. We were lucky and got a quick appointment. After passing your MoT the paperwork takes about a week.

Step 5

Pick up your Registration Certificate. You are on the road again. Don't forget to carry all paperwork in the Iberian peninsula.

Adrian and Marc outside the Santana, photo courtesy of Brigid, received the other day, thanks Brig


Kyle Reynolds said...

What is the accurate duty fee to pay? Is it 30%, 40%, 12%?

And how does it vary depending on engine size?

How is the value determined and is it worth using an online evaluation of the plates to get an idea of how much will be required to pay?

thx for the usefull article!

roughseasinthemed said...

Answered in main blog with new post. Hope it helps. Thanks for your comment.

David Jones said...

I used this blog recently when my father kindly decided to give me his MG ZS, im from the UK, im still waiting for my ID card so they said to bring the reciept for the application of it, some utility bills and a copy of my rental agreement. All was fine, the car was valued at £200, so i only had to pay £60, its a 2003 MG ZS TDI+, in mint condition, but hey, i wasnt going to argue haha. Plates done the same day, insurance a day later, MOT is on Wednesday. Found the whole process easier than i thought, now to fit my headlight beem thingys.

David Jones said...

A quick question, is it better to have the original documents to accompany your green card when driving in spain, or will photocopies do?

roughseasinthemed said...

DJ - thanks for your info about when you imported your MG, I am sure that will be helpful to people.

In theory you are meant to carry originals in Spain. I have heard of people getting signed copies, but that needs to be done by a Spanish notary at a cost to you.

We always carry originals ie driving licence, registration document, MOT (roadworthy) certificate, and insurance documents. Also passport is essential.

Regarding cover - we have taken out RACE assist. Acc to the staff there, if you have the sticker in your window and are involved in an accident or breakdown, the guardia civil will not allow anyone else to tow it away. Worth bearing in mind for your Gib vehicle.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been offline for ten days or so.